Outreach & Awards
The Department of Housing and Residence Education staff and residents actively participate in a variety of community service and outreach programs. We are always looking for new and innovative ways to contribute, so step out as a new community leader to help us write our story!
- Spring Check-Out Recycling Project
- Donations of non-perishable food, clothes, small appliances, new and used school supplies, and electronics are collected in residence hall lobby areas during Spring check-out for Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, he Outreach Center of Gainesville, Haven Hospice, and Bread of the Mighty Food Bank.
- Alachua school supply donations in partnership with Altrusa Club
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes in partnership with Alachua County School Board
- Serving dinners at Ronald McDonald House, Catholic Workers House, & St. Francis House
- Volunteering at Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary
- Volunteering in Alachua County Schools
- Team Ohana for Relay for Life American Cancer Society Fundraiser
- The department hosts an active team for an overnight fundraiser and raises an average of $5000 annually for the Relay for Life Cancer Society. Activities include yard sales, lunch BBQs, gift basket raffles, and a “Kiss the Pig” penny war competition.
- Holiday Toys for Tots collections
- Voter Registration assistance to campus residents