While you make your home here in Gainesville, we ask that you please follow these Gator Guest Guidelines to help ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. Always remember that your residence area front desk is a great resource for information and assistance.
Great Gator Guests are courteous to others!
- Noise– Please keep noise levels to a minimum at all times so that others are not disturbed.
- Alcohol– Comply with state alcohol laws regarding possession and consumption. No open containers or consumption of alcoholic beverages outside residence halls or in public areas in residence halls. University Officials may ask for identification to confirm legal drinking status. Alcohol is subject to confiscation. No alcohol is permitted in residence halls for groups with participants under the age of 21. Counselors of youth camps/groups may not consume or possess alcohol within the residence halls.
- Smoking/Tobacco– The University of Florida is proud to have a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and tobacco products are prohibited on all university property, indoors and outdoors.
- Drugs– In compliance with state and federal laws, the illegal possession, sale, or use of drugs is prohibited. Inhaling or ingesting substances (e.g. nitrous oxide, glue, paint, etc.) that will alter your mental state is prohibited. Possession of drug-related paraphernalia (e.g. bongs, hookahs, pipes, etc.) is prohibited in the residence halls and such items are subject to confiscation.
- Recreational Wheeled Devices – The use of recreational wheeled devices (including, but not limited to skateboards, kick scooters, roller skates, or in-line skates) is prohibited anywhere in or around the residence halls, including stairwell towers.
- Disorderly Conduct – Behavior disruptive to orderly community living is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: bouncing or kicking balls in any public area around the residence hall, throwing items in hallways and public areas, fighting, pranks, or other behavior which may cause physical injury or damage to the facilities, or is potentially dangerous to conference guest health and well-being.
Great Gator Guests are green and clean!
- Trash Disposal – Make sure to dispose of your trash prior to check-out or the conclusion of an event. Place all trash in the floor trash chute or residential area dumpster. Place large trash items (i.e.: pizza boxes) in outside dumpsters.
- Recycling– Please recycle aluminum, glass, and paper in designated recycling receptacles.
- Decorations– Glitter is also not permitted in the Residence Halls. Do not paint rooms or decorate windows, door frames, hallways, or walls using nails, stickers, tape, or other items that may cause marring, chipping, holes, etc. The use of shaving cream, soap, streamers or contact paper on/in residence hall facilities and windows is prohibited.
- Furniture– Please do not move or alter furniture.
Great Gator Guests keep themselves and other Gators safe!
- Residence Hall Security– Always lock your door and carry your keys and/or fob. Never lend your keys and/or fob to others or prop doors open. Report suspicious persons or behaviors to a Housing Official or UFPD. Never let people who are not part of your group into your conference area. Access to roofs, ledges or pit areas is strictly prohibited. Climbing the outside of buildings is also prohibited.
- Walking On Campus– When on campus, buddy up and keep track of your closest emergency blue light station where help can be called at a moment’s notice. Gator Guests should always be aware of their surroundings!
- Wildlife– Florida is home to many poisonous and dangerous animals. For your safety, and in compliance with State Statute, do not feed, tease, throw things at, or go near alligators or other wildlife.
- Elevators– Guests are not permitted to ride any elevator labeled as FREIGHT ONLY. Beaty Area and Hume Area elevators are for conference guest use.
- Windows – Window screens must remain in place at all times. All windows must ALWAYS remain closed and secured. Throwing anything from windows is strictly prohibited. Guests are responsible for personal injuries, property damage, or cleanup charges resulting from this action.
- Posting Signs & Information– Signs, posters, etc. are not permitted in windows. All posters and notices must be approved by Conference Services in respect to content and location of placement. Unauthorized posters are prohibited and will be removed.
- In Case of Fire– Never tamper with fire alarm equipment including, but not limited to: exit signs, pull stations, fire extinguishers and sprinklers. Please note that sprinkler heads are extremely sensitive and should not be touched or tampered with. Everyone must exit the building immediately when a fire alarm sounds. The exit you should use is marked on the evacuation map behind your room door. DO NOT use elevators during a fire alarm. Guests cannot re-enter the building until the alarm has been shut off and Fire Department or other University personnel indicate it is safe to do so. Call the University Police Department (UPD) at (352) 392-1111 or notify the front desk if you observe smoke or fire.
All guests, whether visiting overnight or during the day, are responsible for familiarizing themselves with these guidelines and abiding by them during their visit to campus. Failure to do so may result in removal of guest from campus and/or monetary fines.