Graduate Hall Director
The Department of Housing and Residence Education is looking for graduate level students to fulfill the demanding and rewarding Graduate Hall Director (GHD) position for academic year 2017/18. The GHD position is a live-in position (housing provided) that requires the GHD to reside in his/her area of responsibility. The primary responsibilities of the GHD include supervision and development of the undergrad staff under their responsibility and to oversee a residence hall community. The GHD is supervised by a full time Housing Area Coordinator (AC).
- Conduct regularly scheduled supervisory individual and group meetings with student staff and AC
- Attend all staff meetings and other meetings as required by AC
- Supervise through/develop/implement programming towards community building and learning for residents in assigned area
- Follow/implement Housing crisis and incident protocols and follow-up procedures
- Serve as a conduct hearing officer
- Conduct building rounds and inspect public area facilities on a regular basis
Staff Development & Supervision Responsibilities:
- Supervise the undergraduate staff under their responsibility
- Initiate and implement ongoing training and staff development activities for student staff that foster areas of growth such as motivation, support, confrontation, helping skills, handling crisis situations, policies, team building, etc.
- Recognize and manage conflict effectively among staff, student residents, and colleagues
- Understand the unique needs of and be an advocate for diverse groups of students.
- Monitor the planning and implementation of area programming expectations, LLC programming, and other similar projects by student staff, the area government, and AC
- Support the area coordinator (AC) in proper administration of area and divisional policies and procedures
- Assist AC with maintaining quality of area office operations, area security, maintenance, custodial and other services
- Complete administrative responsibilities in timely manner
The Graduate Hall Director is currently paid a contract rate of $4,365.00 each semester or $485.00 bi-weekly over 9 pay periods (fall and spring only) based on 9.5 months of work, 20 hours per week from approximately August 1st to May 1st. In addition to salary, a $300.00 per semester (fall and spring only) declining balance for meal plan is provided. An on-campus apartment, fully furnished with all utilities, is provided. Remuneration does not include tuition. Out-of-state fee waivers are sometimes available, but are NOT guaranteed (see information on our employment website).
- Must be enrolled as a full-time graduate student in good standing as defined by the University or specific college at the time of actual employment.
- Must be able to have a 20 hr FTE available
- Be able to work effectively with the University population (staff, students, parents, etc.).
- Demonstrate a sense of job responsibility and maturity.
- Show evidence of leadership skills.
- Show evidence of good time management skills.
- Preference is given to candidates who have residence hall supervisory experience and/or who are majoring in student personnel, counseling, guidance, or administration in higher education.
Special Instructions To Applicant:
In addition to the application (see link below), a resume and a cover letter addressing the following questions must be uploaded:
- Skills and abilities you will bring to a Housing graduate level position.
- What you hope to accomplish in a Housing graduate level position.
- Your experience and any specific areas of expertise you have relevant to the work of student affairs
- In which college/department are you seeking your graduate degree and how this fits for your career goals?
For priority consideration please submit your application by February 15, 2017.
Interviews: After an initial application screening, candidates from academic programs other than Student Personnel in Higher Education applicants will be invited to interview on campus or over the phone on March 16 and 17, 2017 or March 30 and 31, 2017.
How To Apply
For priority consideration, applications for graduate positions for the upcoming academic year will be due by February 15, 2017. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at HRERLEGraduateStaffRecruitment@housing.ufl.edu.