Graduate and Family Housing residents must be enrolled and maintain proper academic progress toward a degree at the University of Florida (including enrollment in at least one class) and be one of the following:
- Graduate, professional or similar student
- Have a spouse and/or dependent children live with you
In order to promote and maintain the best possible residential environment and in keeping with specific regulations, the following definitions will help define eligibility.
- Primary Occupants – Only a primary occupant (the billed renter), a spouse, and dependent children (where allowable), are allowed to “live in an apartment.” Anyone else, (without exception) would be considered a “roommate.” Roommates are only permitted in Tanglewood, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Guests of a short-term duration are always allowed. Guests of a long-term duration require permission. For more information about the Graduate and Family Housing guest policy, please contact Rena Buchan, Assistant Director of Housing.
- One-Bedroom Apartments – Children are not permitted to live in one-bedroom or efficiency apartments due to noise concerns.
There are some exceptions to the eligibility requirements and must be requested as far in advance as possible by email@example.com. Not all requests are approved. Here is a list of some common exceptions:
- Early Move-In: Prior to enrollment new residents may move in approximately one semester prior to attending classes.
- Late Move-Out: Graduating students may stay up to a week after graduation. By request, residents may also request to stay up to one semester after graduation.
- Semester Off from Classes: This allowance is intended to accommodate research or other academic situations. Residents may request to live in GFH for one semester during each 12 month period without being enrolled in classes. Additional accommodations may be considered.
- Between Degrees: Residents may request to live with GFH between degrees for up to one semester. For example, a student may live with GFH for the summer in between completing their master’s degree and starting a PhD program.