The following information is solely for UNDERGRADUATE residents.
A Housing Rent Deferment is a temporary delay of the rent due date to wait for the student’s financial aid money to disburse.
Students are responsible for payment of their housing balance if financial aid money is not released in time to pay by the Housing Rent Deferment Due Date OR if there is not enough money to cover all of the student’s University debts.
Students are responsible for paying their rent or obtaining a rent deferment prior to the rent due date to avoid any late charges.
Starting Fall 2016 a $125 late charge will apply if the deferment is secured after the rent due date.
A housing rent deferment is different from a tuition deferment and can only be granted by the student applying online on the Housing Portal or by UF Housing staff.
You are eligible to apply for a housing deferment if you have $1,600* or more of Financial Aid for each summer term or $4,900* or more per semester of Financial Aid for the Fall/Spring (excluding work-study and fee waiver). Housing must be able to verify the amount of financial aid being received by checking the student’s Financial Aid Award File online or have a copy of the student’s scholarships.
*These amounts are applicable for Summer 2016, Fall 2016 and Spring 2017, and are subject to change in future terms.
How To Check Your Eligibility
- Log into One.UF with your GatorLink username and password
- Locate “My Online Services” (on the left) locate “Financial Aid”
- Select “Awards and Disbursements” for the upcoming semester(s)
- Scroll down and press “Display” to view award
How To Apply (If Eligible)
- Log into HMS using your GatorLink username and password
- Locate the “Contract Tab”
- Select “My Deferments”
- The webpage will provide deferment information. Click the “Next”
- If you are eligible, your due date will be provided. If you are not eligible, Click on the information under “Action” for an explanation.