We are glad you chose to live with us in the University of Florida’s residence halls! Make sure you follow the steps below to properly move to a new building or move out and are not returning to campus housing.
Spring 2013 Term Closing (May 4, 2013 at 4 p.m.)
Summer A 2013 Term (June 22, 2013 at 4 p.m.)
Summer B 2013 Term (August 10, 2013 at 4 p.m.)
Fall 2013 Term Closing (December 14, 2013 at 4 p.m.)
Spring 2014 Term Closing (May 3, 2014 at 4 p.m.)
Residents will fall into one of the following categories:
1. Moving Out: Leaving Campus Housing with an Approved Cancellation
- Academic Dismissal
- Internship *
- Study Abroad *
- Greek Release*
*documentation submitted and approved cancellation required
2. Moving Out: Moving to another Residence Hall with approval
- A separate email will be sent to students with specific details for this type of Move Out.
3. Not Moving Out (staying in the same room)
- Students staying in the same room from Fall to Spring, Summer B to Fall, Spring to Summer A/C, or Innovation Academy do not need to remove personal belongings from their same room.
- Keys may be required to be returned during the break period between semesters. This will be discussed in your closing floor meeting with your Resident Assistant.
Process for Moving Out Properly Each Semester:
- Attend your Resident Assistant’s floor meeting or individual meeting on closing procedures. Based on the information given at that meeting and in this document, plan your move-out accordingly.
- There are now TWO options to move out of your room for each semester noted below: Express or Traditional Move Out.
TRADITIONAL MOVE OUT:
- Make an appointment with your Resident Assistant for room move-out.
- Must be made 24 hours in advance and must be completed by 11:30 a.m. on the Saturday of closing.
- Move-out must occur after you have removed all belongings from your room and are ready to leave the residence hall.
- Your Resident Assistant will complete your digital Room Condition Report.
- When you and your Resident Assistant leave your room at the completion of room move-out, windows, blinds, and curtains should be closed, your lights should be off, and your door locked.
- Within 30 minutes of completing room check-out, bring your Move Out Receipt card to the Area Desk
- Turn in all hard keys/access cards/key fob’s.
- Complete a change of address card.
Please note: Rooms with trash or items left (that do not belong to a roommate that has not left) will not be cleared for move-out. This includes shelves, carpet, rental refrigerators, posters, etc. You must properly recycle or dispose of all items and trash before checking-out with your RA. Be sure to take your bike as it may be tagged for removal.
EXPRESS MOVE OUT:
You can forgo making an appointment with your Resident Assistant to check out of your room by signing up for an Express Move Out. To utilize this option follow these steps:
- Sign Up for an Express Move Out on the Sign Up Sheet on or near your Resident Assistant’s room door – this informs your RA that you will not need to arrange an appointment with them.
- Get an Express Move Out Envelope from your RA or your Area Desk.
- Completely move out, clean your room thoroughly & lock your room door.
- Place your swipe card, and keys in the Move Out Envelope (Sign, Initial and seal it).
- Turn in the envelope (with hard keys/access cards/key fob’s inside) to your Area Desk.
- Must be completed by 4pm on the Saturday of closing.
Please Note: By choosing an Express Move Out instead of a Traditional Move Out Appointment with your Resident Assistant means you forfeit your Right to Appeal any Damage Charges found by Residence Life Staff. Please do a very thorough job of cleaning your room if you select this option.
Fee’s Associated with Move Out:
Additional charges and/or disciplinary action will be assessed for failure to remove ALL personal belongings (if moving out). Students will be charged a nominal fee of $115.00 plus $25.00 per staff member/per hour involved to pack, inventory, store, and remove personal belongings left in the room or to prepare the room for a roommate. Moving Out improperly will result in a separate nominal fee of $50.00. Lost or misplaced keys not turned in at the time of move out will be charged to the student’s account. Professional staff in the residential area have final decision over damage billing.
As the end of the semester quickly approaches, we would like to remind you that the Department of Housing and Residence Education is not able to offer storage between intersession. Intersession is the time between:
- Spring to Fall
- Summer A to Fall
- Summer B to Fall
- Fall to Spring *If moving to a new residence hall
In an effort to assist with your moving arrangements, we have compiled the attached list of local storage vendors. The University of Florida Department of Housing and Residence Education are not affiliated with these vendors in any way, but offer this list as a courtesy to our valued students. It is recommended that students be diligent in verifying that their possessions will be covered by their renter’s insurance while in storage.
Please make arrangements now to either take belongings home for the intersession or to utilize a storage company. All items left in rooms will be bagged and improper checkout charges and hefty abandoned property charges will be applied. If the items are not retrieved by the given deadline, the items will be disposed. The Department of Housing will not be responsible for any lost or damaged items if we are required to move or dispose of them from a residence room.