We are glad you chose to live with us in the University of Florida’s residence halls! Make sure you follow the steps below to properly move to a new building or move out and are not returning to campus housing.
Fall 2014 Term Closing (December 20, 2014 at 4 p.m.)
Spring 2015 Term Closing (May 2, 2015 at 4 p.m.)
Residents will fall into one of the following categories:
1. Moving Out: Leaving Campus Housing with an Approved Cancellation
- Academic Dismissal
- Internship *
- Study Abroad *
- Greek Release*
*documentation submitted and approved cancellation required
2. Moving Out: Moving to another Residence Hall with approval
- A email will be sent to students with specific details for this type of Move Out.
- Students must move out by the established closing date(s). At this time UF Housing cannot accommodate storage in a new room between the Summer B and Fall semester break. Please see “Storage” information at the bottom of this page.
3. Not Moving Out (staying in the same room)
- Students staying in the same bedroom from Fall to Spring, Summer B to Fall, Spring to Summer A/C, or Innovation Academy do not need to remove personal belongings from their same room. You cannot stay in this room during the break period. Please keep all items off the floor as your room may have the floor(s) treated during these break periods.
- Keys and Fobs may be required to be returned during the break period between semesters. This will be discussed in your closing floor meeting with your Resident Assistant.
Process for Moving Out Properly Each Semester:
- Attend your Resident Assistant’s floor meeting or individual meeting on closing procedures. Based on the information given at that meeting and in this document, plan your move-out accordingly.
- There are now TWO options to move out of your room for each semester noted below: Express or Traditional Move Out.
TRADITIONAL MOVE OUT:
- Make an appointment with your Resident Assistant for room move-out.
- Must be made 24 hours in advance and must be completed by 11:30 a.m. on the Saturday of closing.
- Move-out must occur after you have removed all belongings from your room and are ready to leave the residence hall.
- Your Resident Assistant will complete your digital Room Condition Report.
- When you and your Resident Assistant leave your room at the completion of room move-out, windows should be closed, your lights should be off, and your door locked.
- Within 30 minutes of completing room check-out, bring your Move Out Receipt card to the Area Desk
- Turn in all hard keys/access cards/key fob’s.
- Complete a change of address card.
Please note: Rooms with trash or items left (that do not belong to a roommate that has not left) will not be cleared for move-out. This includes shelves, carpet, rental refrigerators, posters, etc. You must properly recycle or dispose of all items and trash before checking-out with your RA. Be sure to take your bike as it may be tagged for removal.
EXPRESS MOVE OUT:
You can forgo making an appointment with your Resident Assistant to check out of your room by signing up for an Express Move Out. To utilize this option follow these steps:
- Sign Up for an Express Move Out on the Sign Up Sheet on or near your Resident Assistant’s room door – this informs your RA that you will not need to arrange an appointment with them.
- Get an Express Move Out Envelope from your RA or your Area Desk.
- Completely move out, clean your room thoroughly, windows should be closed, your lights should be off, and your door locked.
- Place your swipe card, and keys/fob in the Move Out Envelope (Sign, Initial and seal it).
- Turn in the envelope (with hard keys/access cards/key fob’s inside) to your Area Desk.
- Complete a change of address card.
- Must be completed by 4pm on the Saturday of closing.
Please Note: By choosing an Express Move Out instead of a Traditional Move Out Appointment with your Resident Assistant means you forfeit your Right to Appeal any Damage Charges found by Residence Life Staff. Please do a very thorough job of cleaning your room and common areas if you select this option.This includes shelves, carpet, refrigerators, posters, etc. You must properly recycle or dispose of all items and trash before checking-out. Be sure to take your bike as it may be tagged for removal.
Fees Associated with Move Out:
Additional charges and/or disciplinary action will be assessed for failure to remove ALL personal belongings (if moving out). Students will be charged a nominal fee of $200.00 plus $25.00 per staff member/per hour involved to pack, inventory, store, and remove personal belongings left in the room or to prepare the room for a roommate.
Moving Out improperly will result in a separate nominal fee of $200.00. Lost or misplaced keys not turned in at the time of move out will be charged to the student’s account. Professional staff in the residential area have final decision over damage billing.
The Department of Housing and Residence Education has partnered with University and Student Services, Inc. (USS) to provide this Service. Simply go to the USS Website and order. USS will come to your room and pick-up Your belongings, Store it in a Climate Controlled Facility and have your belongings back when you arrive on or off campus in the fall.
This company will provide storage accommodations, for a nominal fee, for the following times:
Summer A (June) – Fall (August)
Summer B (July) – Fall (August)
Spring (May) – Fall (August)