Room Transfers

It is normal to experience difficulties adjusting to living with someone you don’t know. Make all efforts to communicate with your roommate, seek assistance from your resident assistant (R.A.), and work out any conflicts through compromise and communication. After these attempts have been made, you can go through the process mentioned above to attempt a room transfer.

There are two ways to do a room transfer (1) mutual swap or (2) transfer request, and these are outlined below. Room transfer requests can be submitted on the myHousing portal starting on the first day the residence halls open for a semester and are based on the principle of first-come, first-serve. Due to lack of vacancies and priority transfers for students in late application triple rooms, sometimes students are not offered transfers during Fall Semester. They may put in a new transfer request upon arrival in the Spring.

Each semester there will be Transfer/Swap Freezes in which residents will not be able to move through either process. Freezes occur traditionally around the beginning of each semester, midterms, and finals. The freezes occur to support the academic mission of the university so students can focus on academics and not moving to a new location which could disrupt their own academic achievements and the communities in which they live in.


*Swaps for Summer B 2014 will open July 2, 2014 at 5pm

*Swaps for Fall 2014 will open September 2, 2014 at 5pm

  1. Identify a Person you’d like to Swap with who has the same contract as you (Fall/Spring).
  • You may choose to use SWAMP SWAP our Facebook Application to identify a swap or post you room to swap
  • Transfers to Late Application Triples, Hume Honors*, Innovation Academy*, and Overflow spaces will NOT be Approved  *some may be approved but only within specific areas
  • Transfers to Keys must a Sophomore or above with 30 UF earned credits
  1. Make an Appointment or WALK IN at the main housing office to meet with an Assignments Assistant ( Mon-Friday 8am-5pm) AFTER January 9th. The Main Housing Office is located at the corner of 13th and Museum next to Beaty Towers.

Assignments Staff will approve or deny your mutual swap request based on the location and information provided Mutual swaps or transfers are not guaranteed

If the Mutual swap is approved:

  1. Receive your approved paperwork and proceed to your new residential area desk to complete the transfer paperwork.
  1. Example #1: You live in Yulee and you are approved to mutually swap to Lakeside. You will take your printed confirmation to Lakeside to start the transfer process
  2. Example #2: You live in Springs and you are approved to mutually swap to Murphree. You will take your printed confirmation to Murphree to start the transfer process
  1. Check out properly from your current area and move into your new area
  • You must do a traditional check out with your Resident Assistant
  • No moving assistance is provided by the Department of Housing and Residence Education


*Transfer Requests for Summer B 2014 will open June 25, 2014 at noon.

*Transfer Requests for Fall 2014 will open August 19, 2014 at 8am

  1. Enter the housing portal
  2. Select “Room Transfer” and follow the prompts
  3. When space opens we will contact you by UF email in submission order
    • You must respond to the offer within 24hrs of the email time stamp, no exceptions
    • If you deny three transfers you will be removed from the system and will not be offered another transfer

Late Application Triple (LAT) FAQ:

For late application triple rooms room transfers begin after the two week transfer freeze at the beginning of each semester and could go through early Spring semester. First, freshmen in late application triples are automatically detripled based on the earliest Housing Application Date of one of the three residents. A student’s Housing Application Date is the date when a student completes a Residence Hall Application including payment of the $25 housing application fee.

*Permanent triples are not detripled unless one of the roommates moves out voluntarily. However, students in permanent triples are permitted to complete a mutual swap or transfer to other rooms, if space is available.  Permanent triple rooms will remain triple rooms.

In late application triples, by detripling time, the three roommates should have discussed which two roommates want to stay together. This discussion should be based on compatibility and relationships between roommates among other considerations. If the three roommates cannot mutually decide among themselves who is to move, Housing staff will intervene to facilitate the decision. If a mutual decision still cannot be reached, the roommate with the latest Housing Application Date will be asked to move unless one of the students with the latest Housing Application Date was assigned to the room as part of a roommate pair.

In late application triples, the roommate who moves will have no more than 48 hours to complete the move. If he/she does not move within the specified time period, please report this to the Resident Assistant. Be considerate and seek help if there are any problems.

Effective the date when the room is detripled, the students that remain in the detripled room will have their rent prorated at the double room rate for the remainder of the contract. The student that moves will have their rent prorated based on the rental rate for the room to which they move for the remainder of their contract.

This question should be addressed by roommates early in the semester to be of benefit. When deciding to stay in a late application triple, all the pros and cons should be weighed equally in order to arrive at some type of consensus. It is critical that each roommate have input into this decision so that it will be an equitable one for all parties involved. If roommates would like to stay together, all roommates will be asked to respond to an email when offered the option to detriple.

When late application triples are detripled, the furniture will remain in the room.The raised bed with the dresser underneath and bunk beds cannot be removed from the room. DO NOT place the bed in the hallway. In a permanent triple, all furniture must remain in the room and is not to be moved.

In permanent triples, furniture cannot be removed if one of the roommates moves out.

Tagged as: , ,